Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fear of Making Decisions?


I have been dreaming of,  and planning a new project which I’ve had in mind for some years now. Finally the time has arrived  to start putting the ideas into action.  However, now the time has arrived of the actual “doing” part of the project, I have lost a little of my “mo-jo”. I’ve been so enthusiastic about this project for a few years now, but now that it is all systems go, I seem to be debilitated into non-action. 
Why?

I  think it’s the fear of making the wrong decision. While the idea is  a pipe-dream, it’s OK to fantasize. But once you start putting the pieces together we suddenly fear that the decisions we are making are not the “perfect” ones. The fear of making the wrong choices can be completely debilitating (as I am finding out!).

Having to do everything perfectly is paralyzing. If we have to know without a doubt that the decisions we are making are the perfect ones, we risk never making any choices at all.  We have to remember it’s OK to make mistakes. Mistakes are messengers, letting us know when we are getting closer and when we are moving further away from our destination. They are powerful guides. But the key is NOT to dwell on our mistakes. We become what we think about, so we need to choose to focus instead on all the things that are going correctly; all the things we are doing proactively, and positively moves towards our objectives.   

I would love to hear your thoughts. Do you find it difficult to make decisions, or do you jump in with both feet fearless?
Please leave a comment with your thoughts.




Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: